Loudon Agriculture Commission Meeting Minutes
January 7 2015
Chris D Koufos – 2016 President
Doug Towle – 2018 Vice President
Carole Soule – 2017 Secretary
Cindy Shea – 2016 Member
Bruce Dawson – 2017 - Member
Chris D. Koufos, Doug Towle, Cindy Shea, Bruce Dawson, Carole Soule
Meeting called to order at 7PM
- Minutes from the December 3, 2015 meeting were accepted with changes.
- Kay Doyon and Steve Doyon were present to discuss a “Hands On Chicken Processing Workshop.” They would like to work with the Ag Commission to present a workshop for 12 participants who would learn how to process a chicken. The workshop would be open to the public with preference given to Loudon residents. Workshop fee will be $50 and each participant can leave with a processed chicken. Participants will have to bring their own knives, ziplock bags, ice and a cooler. Proposed date is the beginning of June. The board will apply for a matching grant from the NH Dept of Agriculture to help pay for the workshop.
- LeaAnn Childress and Barbara Burr from the Recycling Committee were present to discuss joint activities with the Commission. Possible workshops were: a) composting and b) gardening. A master gardener presenter from the UNH Cooperative Extension Service will cost between $25 -$100. Funding was discussed as well as possible grant funding for a joint workshop.
- There were no website updates.
- Final invoices and bill from the Commission were submitted to the NH Mini-Grant. We are waiting for payment from the NH Dept of Ag.
- Master Plan discussion was tabled until the February 2016 meeting
- Cindy will prepare a Loudon Ledger piece which will include a survey about what workshops Town residents are interested in. Some suggestions include:
- Solar Power
- Maple Syrup
- Backyard Gardening
- Fruit Trees (how to prune)
- Food Waste
- How to raise laying chickens
- Agritourism was discussed. The Commission would like direction from the State Ag Commission about possible wording for our Master Plan.
- The Commission will request to have a “booth” at the March Town Meeting. We will provide a “Text” number so that residents can sign up on our email list. We will bring Town Farm map flyers and a newly designed questionaire. Chris will approve the Year End review that was published in the Loudon Ledger for inclusion in the Town Report.
- Help for Loudon farmers is available from the NH Extension Service. Interested residents should contact the Ag Commission for help in locating these services.
- Cindy and Carole will meet to work on possible grant opportunities and fund raising activities.
- Farm and Forest Expo is Jan 22 and 23. Board members were encouraged to attend.
- An Old Home Day joint float with the Recycling Commission was discussed.
- A Survey listing potential workshops will be created and sent via Survey Monkey to the Ag Commission email list. Results will be discussed at the Feb meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:16pm.